Friday, 17 October 2014

Foodie Friday #2 - 'Go-To Meals'

 Halloumi Salad

A different kind of post to the first 'Foodie Friday'. This one is just a little insight into a few of my every day meals which I thought might inspire you for dinner or lunch today. Neither of these dishes are hard to make, and almost don't need explaining but I just thought for flavour combos etc they might be useful! 

So first of all is this absolutely delicious salad which I usually have for lunch.

It's based around the halloumi (or, in this case, 'Morrison's Grilling Cheese' which, to be honest, I wouldn't recommend and I am definately going to go back to just the usual halloumi). Halloumi just reminds me of holidays and barbecues which are always good times to think back on. It isn't a very strong cheese and everybody that I know who has tried it agrees that it is delicious. 

I often use baby spinach and rocket for the base of my salads as the slight peppery-ness of the rocket adds a bit of a different taste to the dish and spinach is a super-healthy superfood. After covering the bottom of my dish in leaves, I chop up the spring onions, a quarter of a cucumber, a few tomatoes, a stick of celery and a couple of sun blush tomatoes and throw them on top. 

You can then put on the halloumi cold, but for the tastiest salad it is normally better to grill or griddle it first. If you really don't like halloumi (you must be a little bit weird), then mozzarella or feta can make a good alternative. On this particularly lunch time, I drizzled a bit of Caesar Dressing over the top but usually I just mix up a bit of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and wholegrain mustard to make a beautiful dressing. 

Courgetti Spaghetti and Bolognaise 

One of my favourite dinners to make is 'courgetti spaghetti'. Last year, in my house I was known for my love of using courgettes as a replacement for pasta. I used to use a peeler to get the long strands of courgette, but this year I have gone one step further and have bought a spiraliser! (Well, I say bought, my brother actually bought it for me as a birthday present. Thanks Bro!) This is such a great gadget and is super easy to use. If you don't have one of these though, you can either use a normal vegetable peeler (for thicker tagliatelle style strips) or purchase a mandoline peeler. 

Once you have made your "spaghetti", you can either leave it raw or boil it for around a minute. 

For the bolognaise (which I am sure you all already know how to make...but just incase) you can use either beef mince or Quorn mince. I tend to use Quorn mince (which is vegetarian) as it is cheaper and also healthier for you, but I know a lot of my friends couldn't survive without a bit of beef so its up to you which you want to use. 

Because I have super sensitive eyes (and I'm a bit lazy) I always buy ready chopped onions and I start off buy frying these in a large saucepan with the garlic (again, I use the lazy version but just press a clove or two if you're using the real thing).  I then add my bacon or pancetta (obviously leave this out if you are a vegetarian), followed by my mince. Once they are all browned, I add chopped mushrooms, celery, basil and oregano (none of which are pictured, whoops). I then usually add chopped tomatoes, but I accidentally picked up plum tomatoes from the shops (D'oh!) so just D.I.Y.-ed it by popping a knife into the can and moving it all around. It did the job. 

I also then add a little bit of beef or vegetable stock for added flavour and leave to simmer. The longer you leave it, the better the flavour. Just before all the liquid has disappeared, I usually add a bit of parmesan to the sauce pan and give it a good stir around. Once most of the liquid has gone, I place a big spoonful on top of my courgetti spaghetti (which I will have removed from the hob a couple of minutes before hand) and bobs your uncle! A delicious, easy dinner!

Follow Me on Bloglovin'

1 comment:

  1. yummy! looks good to me!
    check out my blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete