Thursday, 13 November 2014

Boyfriend's Birthday

Dress - similar, Coat - similar, Scarf - ASOS, Boots - Office

Hey all! Sorry my blog posts haven't been so regular lately. I have been so bogged down with work and job applications that I have barely had a spare moment - plus, I haven't really been going anywhere exciting/dressing up! Also, experiencing autumn/winter for the first time as a 'blogger' (ie when I am attempting to take photos) is a real struggle as by the time I finish university most days (in between 5 and 6) there is absolutely no natural light so taking nice photographs is a real struggle. Anyway, I hope you can forgive me and I am going to try harder to keep the blog updated more often because I really do love writing it. 

So, this post is all about a little date I went on last night with my boyfriend, Owen. It's his birthday coming up and so, seen as he did such a great job with my birthday (see Birthday Date) I thought it would only be fair if I took him out and treated him to a delicious meal. The outfit I wore isn't that interesting but I wasn't sure how dressy the restaurant we were going to was so didn't want to dress too smart but at the same time didn't want to go super casual. This Topshop dress is probably the most go-to item of clothing I have in my wardrobe. Suitable for almost any occasion and stretchy enough that you can eat a humongous meal without feeling like you are going to rip it, it really is perfect. 

We, first off, went to a great little bar called Island Bar. We had never been before but had heard lots about it so decided to give it a go. Due to it being early evening on a Wednesday night, it wasn't that busy but we still had a great time. The staff were super friendly, and there was free popcorn so you can't really go wrong! We both had a cocktail for our first drink of the night. Owen went for a super-girly cocktail (complete with cherries and an umbrella) called 'Cherry Rose' which consisted of Hendricks gin, cherry brandy, sloe gin, lemon juice and sugar. We likened the taste to one of those ice lollies that we used to get when we were children that you would freeze yourself (Calypso??). I opted for a 'Basil Fawlty' which was also gin based with flavours of lavender, basil and ginseng. It was delish. 

So, after our cocktails we headed to the main event at Le Truc. I had never been before, but had heard great reviews from my friend Kirsten. It's a french restaurant with a nice laid back atmosphere and, once again, super friendly staff. The menu was great with loads of choice, especially if you're a meat lover like Owen. For starters I chose goats cheese bon bons off the specials menu, which came with a cranberry jus and candied walnuts. Scrumptious. Owen got braised porks cheek, quails scotch egg, pork scratching and caper berries...he always likes to opt for the most expensive thing on the menu. 

Look at these mains! Mmm-mm! Owen once again chose the most expensive think on the menu (as one of my friends said: he certainly knows how to treat a birthday!) which was an onglet steak (we had to google what an onglet steak was...it's also known as a hanger steak) with beef dripping chips. It was cooked to perfection, and having tasted some myself, I can admit that it was certainly worth the price tag. I went for the 'Royale with cheese' (in reference to Pulp Fiction) which was a double stacked burger with cheese and bacon. It was pretty nice, although I could only eat one layer. Don't worry though as Owen polished off the rest. 

With very full bellies we headed off to another bar called The Victoria. This pub-like restaurant/bar thing is owned by the same people as Island Bar, but couldn't be more different. Still with an impressive cocktail list, it is much more like a British pub with slight querks (such as portraits of animals instead of people). Owen had a couple of beers, and I had a glass of wine but when they rang the bell for last orders I couldn't resist getting them to make a very long winded cocktail (sorry!). It was called a Rhubarb and Ginger Daisy, and consisted of cognac, fresh ginger, rhubarb and an egg white. It was a bit bitter, but I think I would have it again. 

So! That concludes our night out and I have to say I would definitely recommend all three places we went to. I hope you enjoyed this post! Just by the by, I recently realised that my bloglovin' link was going to the wrong place but I have since fixed it so if you did fancy following 'Bdazzles' on bloglovin' so that you never miss a post just click on this button -  

Speak soon!



2 comments:

  1. looks like you had a great time, I really want a dress like yours- something that looks good but is also comfy! would really love if you could check out my fashion blog? :)

    Istylethereforeiiwear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was such a great night, Louise! Will be sure to check out your blog.
      Beth x

      Delete