Friday, 27 February 2015

Foodie Friday #5 : Deliciously Ella's Chocolate Chia Cookies


OK, OK...I realise these don't look all that appetising but these Chocolate Chia Cookies are super quick and easy to make, totally guilt free and really do satisfy that sweet tooth! I stole the recipe from Deliciously Ella's Cookbook (which I cannot recommend enough) and whipped them up in less than 30 minutes this morning. 


To make these cookies you will need a couple of slightly unusual ingredients along with a couple of readily available ones too. I thought it might be useful to directly link to where you can by the more  'out there' ingredients at reasonable prices. 

I bought my chia seeds (link here) from Goodness Direct and if I'd known about this website sooner I probably would've bought all of these health food ingredients from there. Its a well priced website with good, quick delivery and I would highly recommend it. 

The cacao powder I bought is from The Raw Chocolate Company which actually I think may be a bit overpriced, so if you are just testing out the waters when it comes to cacao I would probably opt for this smaller pack from Goodness Direct

I bought my medjool dates - which I have started to eat regularly by themselves, they taste just like caramel! - from Ocado although I have it under good authority that many market stalls do them for much cheaper so I am going to have to go and have a root around I think!

I also bought my Buckwheat Flour from Ocado as it is on offer at the moment. I had never tried this flour before making these cookies but it seems like a goodn to me!



So now down to the actual recipe...starting with what you will need:

-200g almonds
-190g hazelnuts
-200g buckwheat flour
-100 ml maple syrup
-5 pitted Medjool dates
-3 tbsp raw cacao powder 
-3 tbsp chia seeds 
-2 tbsp coconut oil 

Make sure your oven is preheated to 200 degrees celcius and then whizz up the nuts in a blender. Deliciously Ella then blends all the ingredients together but as I only have a mini-blender at uni I had to mix the rest of my ingredients by hand. This wasn't an issue but just meant my cookies were a little bit bumpy. I personally like a bit of texture anyway! 

After mixing together, add about 75ml of water to make the mixture a little stickier and then roll the mixture into little balls and press down onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Pop in the oven and leave to bake for 20 minutes and then ta-da! Just like that they are finished and you can tuck in and enjoy with a lovely cuppa! 

Let me know if any of you bake these cookies! Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment